Nowadays, it seems like there’s a mask for just about any problem. Sleeping masks are all the rage, after all, why not fix said problems while we sleep? Cracky, dry lips are certainly one of today’s most prolific issues. So let’s fix it while we dream of all the other problems in the world that we’re going to solve. Now, you don’t just want any lip mask. You want an incredible one, the best. Let’s see how Laneige’s lip mask stacks up.
The Down and Dirty on a Lip Mask That Promises to Solve all Your (Lip-related) Problems
This lip mask is great. It has a lot going for it like an amazing texture, sweet scent, cute packaging, adorable little spoon, and a nice moisturizing effect. However, when it comes to the overall performance of lip moisturization, it’s a little lacking. When you compare it to other lip masks out there like Agave by Bite Beauty, for instance, it doesn’t hold up. I’ve even found that Sephora’s lip balm in Banana does just about as good of a job as Langeige’s lip mask.
The Break Down
The Lip Sleeping Mask by Laneige will cost you $20 for 0.7 oz/ 20 g or product. It comes in three flavors, berry, vanilla, and apple lime. They smell incredible. These lip masks are to be used at night, so what you do is slather it over your lips using the little spoon they come with, and go to bed. You’ll wake up to ultra-moisturized lips. It’s that easy. (Or rather, it should be).
The Scoring 7/10
The most important factor of a lip mask is how well it moisturizes your lips. When I use something as heavy as an overnight lip mask, you better believe I want to feel a whole heck of a difference. I want that moisture to last long into the next day. I want to notice that lipsticks go on better and last longer.
Laneige’s Lip Sleeping Mask does leave your lips feeling super moisturized-right when you wake up that is. During the day though, you’ll be reaching for your chapstick just like you would on a day where you hadn’t previously slept in the lip mask. It just seems like, after a couple of waking hours, the moisturizing effects are mostly gone.
So yes, it works, but it doesn’t last all day. I am confident the 7/10 score though because it is great for making your lips feel really soft, plump and smooth and if you want that feeling to last throughout the day, simply reapply it. (Or use your regular lip balm). It’s not a bad product by any means, it’s just not the very best either. If I were you, I’d go down to Sephora and smell all the flavors first and pick based off of that. Make it about a special skin treat and a fun part of your nighttime routine. It certainly is a great habit to wear a lip mask each night and if this product helps you develop this habit, then it’s a real win.
Pros and Cons
- Smells amazing
- Cute packaging
- Convenient little spoon to help with application
- Does a fantastic job of moisturizing your lips deeply, but will need to be reapplied during the day
- Great for using prior to lipsticks
- Moisturizing effect doesn’t last throughout the entire day
- Scented (can be a con if you’re sensitive to fragrance)
Tips & Tricks
- Exfoliate your lips right before using a lip mask. This will really take your lips to the next level of smooth and make your lip mask so much more effective. Use something gentle though, like a soft, wet washcloth or a lip scrub. (No harshness like a freaking toothbrush or walnut scrubs).
- It’s not only for nighttime use. No lip mask fairy will curse you for wearing it during the day. I suggest using it before lipstick to really prolong the wear of your lip color. (Just wipe it off right before you apply your lipstick so it’s not a slimy mess).